Boy, 11, dies after suffering cardiac arrest during chroming TikTok challenge

Spread the love

An 11-year-old boy from the United Kingdom has died after huffing toxic chemicals in a TikTok challenge known as “chroming” — and his devastated family wants the social media company shut down and all others barred from children under 16.

Tommie-Lee Gracie Billington, 11, suffered a suspected cardiac arrest at a friend’s house in Lancaster on Saturday, according to the Times of London.

He was rushed to a nearby hospital just, where he died.

“He died instantly after a sleepover at a friend’s house. The boys had tried the TikTok craze ‘chroming,’” said the boy’s grandmother, Tina Burns.

“In fact, we want to get TikTok taken down and no children to be allowed on any social media under 16 years of age. This is breaking us all but we want to help save other children’s lives and give families awareness to keep their children safe.”

TikTok has faced criticism for the prevalence of dangerous teen trends on the platform.

During a January hearing, the leaders of four prominent social media platforms — including Mark Zuckerberg of Facebook and Instagram, and Shou Chew of TikTok — were grilled by the US Senate Judiciary Committee over the safety of their platforms.

That hearing was part of a push to pass the “Kids Online Safety Act,” which would require social media companies to take aggressive actions to target dangerous and predatory behavior on their platforms.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *