swimmer dies after being attacked by 15-foot shark


SYDNEY (AP) — A swimmer on a Sydney beach in Australia died after being attacked by what witnesses described as a 4 1/2-meter (15-foot) great white shark.

“This person had suffered catastrophic injuries as a result of the attack and there was nothing paramedics could do when we arrived on scene,” New South Wales state Ambulance Inspector Lucky Phrachnanh said.

It is the first fatal shark attack in Sydney since 1963.
A witness, Kris Linto, said the swimmer was in the water when the shark “came and attacked him vertically.”

“We heard a yell and then turned around, it looked like a car just landed in the water, big splash,” he told Nine News TV.

Police closed Little Bay Beach as they continued to search the area for the shark.
According to researchers with the International Shark Attack File, Australia last year led the world with three unprovoked shark-related deaths, followed by New Caledonia with two. The United States, Brazil, New Zealand and South Africa each had a single unprovoked fatal shark attack. There were a total of 11.

The human remains of a swimmer were located off a beach in Sydney, Australia, after a shark attack that resulted in “catastrophic injuries.”
It was the first fatal shark attack in Sydney since 1963, news outlets reported.

“Footage clearly shows a body, half a body being taken by a shark,” police said over a scanner, according to News.com.au. The report said authorities were called to Buchan Point, Malabar, at about 4:35 p.m. and found half of a wetsuit.

The beach was crowded at the time of the attack and some witnesses recalled seeing a 14-foot great white shark attacking the unidentified swimmer.
We heard yelling and turned around it looked like a car had landed in the water, a big splash then the shark was chomping at the body and there was blood everywhere,” one witness told 9 News, according to the report.

A fisherman told ABC.net.au that he saw the entire attack. He said the swimmer was pulled underwater by the shark and began yelling.
He said there were “so many splashes” and the shark did not relent. The attack lasted for several seconds, he said.
Human remains were found later in the ocean.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here