Kansas girl dies after being trapped in fire in Wichita

0
251

WICHITA, Kan. (AP) — A 17-year-old girl died from smoke inhalation after she was unable to escape a fire in west Wichita.

Wichita fire investigator Donny Eckerman told The Wichita Eagle that the girl was trapped inside the duplex by a deadbolt that required a key to open. The fire started in the kitchen after a burner was left on and a pan with grease caught fire, he said.

Firefighters found the girl unresponsive in her grandmother’s room, which is where the deadbolt key was kept. She died later at a hospital.

“That ended up being a problem,” he said. “The delay was having to get keys to get out.”

Most of the fire damage was in the kitchen, but there was smoke damage throughout the duplex. Officials estimate the fire caused $40,000 damage to the building and $20,000 damage to the contents.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here