Woman, child die from carbon monoxide poisoning while trying to stay warm in Texas freeze

0
71

Police in Houston said that a woman and one of her children died from carbon monoxide poisoning after the woman started her car in her garage to use the vehicle’s heating system to stay warm after her house lost power.

Officials said that a welfare check to a residence in southwest Houston resulted in the discovery of two adults and two children affected by carbon monoxide poisoning. 

The woman and an 8-year-old girl who was found in the residence did not survive, according to police, while an adult male and a 7-year-old boy were transported to a nearby hospital for treatment.

The unidentified woman had been on the phone with a relative in the vehicle when she lost consciousness, prompting the relative to call 911.

It’s a very difficult time. A lot of people are without power,” Lt. Larry Crowson told reporters at a news conference. “I know it’s cold, but you’ve got to be careful about using generators or cars inside a garage, or any type of fire, grill or charcoal grill. Carbon monoxide is odorless and can kill people very easily.”

Texas and much of the central U.S. were hit by devastating winter storms over the weekend, prompting blackouts affecting millions while dangerously low temperatures continue in the region.

At least twenty people have died in total so far from weather-related incidents throughout the more than a dozen states affected by the storms,

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here