2 people die from carbon monoxide poisoning after a car was used to heat in a Texas storm

0
1710

Two people, one of them a child, were found dead from carbon monoxide poisoning after using a car to generate heat in a Houston home that suffered a widespread power outage due to a rare winter storm.

Police said Houston officers and firefighters heeded a social welfare call to find two adults and two children suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning. A woman and a girl did not survive, while a man and a boy were taken to hospital for treatment. The names of the victims were not disclosed.

The administration said in a statement: “Initial indications indicate that the car was operating in the attached garage to generate heat with power outages. Cars, grills and generators should not be used inside or near the building.”

A deadly winter storm in the southern and central region of the country caused blackouts on more than 3.9 million people in Texas, as record-low temperatures engulfed the state’s power grid.

The areas most affected by the blackouts were around Galveston and Houston

Meanwhile, the Houston Chronicle was forced to stop producing its print edition after the plant lost power at 2 a.m. In a note to subscribers, the newspaper said that didn’t happen even when Hurricane Harvey hit the city in 2017.

Abilene, a city of about 170,000, has shut down its water services as a result of power cuts at all three water treatment plants, officials said. In an effort to save energy, the cityscape of Dallas darkened.

At least 25 people have died in weather-related deaths so far since the weekend, the majority in Texas.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here