5 killed in the aftermath of a shooting in the Chicago area


5 people, including the suspect, were killed after a wave of gunfire that lasted hours in the Chicago area.

The bloodshed began at 1:50 pm. When a man entered a parking lot on Chicago’s Southeast End Street and shot a 30-year-old man who was sitting in a car, according to the Chicago Police Department. The death of the victim, a student at the University of Chicago, was announced at the scene.

Then the suspect entered an apartment building on the same street at around 2 p.m. They shot a security guard who was shot in the chest, as well as a 77-year-old woman who was collecting her mail, police said. They were taken to the University of Chicago Medical Center, where the security guard was pronounced dead and the 77-year-old woman remains in critical condition.

A neighbor said, “He started walking to the building and I think she told him he had to leave the building and then shot her.” “Then I started running and I shoot her again.”

The neighbor, who did not want to be identified, told the station that the security guard had been working in the building for years and had two children.

The suspect then went to another building on South East End Street around 2:45 pm. He pulled a pistol at a man he knew, police said. The suspect pushed the victim to his apartment, demanded his car keys and ran away in the car.

At around 3:45 pm, the police said, the suspect entered a store on South Halstead Street and announced a robbery. The suspect shot people inside the store and hit a 20-year-old man in the head and an 81-year-old woman in the back and head. They were taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center, where the man was declared dead and the woman remains in critical condition, according to police.

Police said the suspect then fled the scene in a car.

At around 5 p.m., police said, a 15-year-old girl was shot in the head while she was traveling in a car driven by a family member on South Halstead Street. Police said the teenager was in critical condition at Komer Children’s Hospital. It was not clear where the suspect was when he shot.

Minutes later, police said, the suspect returned to the area near the South Halstead burglary, shot at the crime scene, and collided with a Chicago police car.

The suspect was later shot by officers from the Evanston Police Department after he went to the CVS store near Asbury and Howard Streets in Evanston, announced a robbery, and fled to nearby IHOP, where he shot a woman in the head that he had taken Hostage, police said. Police said the woman was taken to hospital in critical condition and died at a later time.

After shooting the suspect, police said, he tried to flee and collapsed.

Chicago Police Chief David Brown identified the suspect as 32-year-old Jason Nightingale.

Nightingale died of his wounds sustained during a shootout with Evanston Police. Brown was not given motivation to shoot, but praised Evanston Police for stopping further massacres.

“But because of the brave behavior of Evanston police officers in confronting this suspect, it was possible to injure many more,” Brown said.

The WLS reports that Nightingale was previously arrested in 2005 on charges of gun and drug abuse, criminal trespass, theft, aggravated assault with a lethal weapon, reckless behavior, and domestic violence.

According to the station, his last arrest included a charge of a local battery in October 2019.

The University of Chicago announced Sunday that Yiran Van, who holds a PhD, is 30 years old. A student in a joint economic and commercial program, was killed in a rampage.

“This sudden and unreasonable loss of life causes us unspeakable grief,” the university said in a statement.

The remaining victims are in the process of being identified by the Cook County Medical Examination Bureau.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here