A man who began raping and abusing his young daughter from when she was 10 until she got married in 2015 shortly before her 18th birthday, has been imprisoned in the Central Criminal Court for 10 years.
The 41-year-old Dublin man, who cannot be named to protect the identity of the victim, was convicted after a trial that ended in February of multiple counts of sexual assault and rape of his daughter on various dates between 2009 and 2015.
During the two-week trial, the man’s attorneys told the victim that she fabricated the allegations in order to explain to her husband why she was not a virgin after their marriage. Patrick Gagby SC told the woman, who is now in her early twenties, that she feared “her husband will return her”.
The woman denied this suggestion and testified that she was telling the truth. The court heard that shortly after the offense appeared, there was a serious attack on the offender. A relative of the victim is facing charges related to this.
The man, whose address is in North Dublin, denied the allegations.
Sentence passed on Wednesday Judge Tony Hunt said the offense involved repeated abuse, and that the man had engineered opportunities to attack the child.
The judge said the behavior represented a serious breach of trust.
He suspended the last year of his 11-year prison sentence on the condition that the man keep the peace and abide by the instructions of the probation service for a year after his release. He also ordered that the man not contact the victim at all.
Maddy Grant, the attorney general, told the court that the victim wanted to give up her identity so that the name of the attacker could be mentioned. The judge ordered that this be stopped for legal reasons but said the case could be returned to court.
In the Victim Impact Statement, which he read out to court, the woman said her childhood was stolen by her father. She said she remembers waking up every day wondering why he’s doing this with her.
The only memories she had of the abuse were. “The only man who was supposed to keep me safe was hurting me,” she said. The woman said that she never felt safe in her home while he was there.
Local guard Shane Costelloy told the public prosecutor that before the victim enrolled in high school, the man had started molesting her by touching her members on numerous occasions.
The initial assault took place at the victim’s home. The guy no longer lived in the title at the time of the wrongdoing but he often slept in the house. He was convicted of raping his daughter five times.
On one of these occasions, he brought his daughter to shop. Instead of bringing her home, he took her to a bed and breakfast where he raped her. The bed and breakfast owner remembered him because he left without staying overnight or paying his bill. The assault ended after the woman married her husband.