Police said a student opened fire on a middle school in Nevada, killing an employee and wounding two students.
A shooter who shot a middle school in Nevada used a pistol taken from his parents to shoot a teacher, according to a federal law enforcement source briefed on the situation. The shooter used the pistol to shoot and kill himself, the source said.
The motive behind the shooting was not clear.
“As you can imagine, the best description is chaos,” said Tom Robinson, deputy chief of the Renault Police Department. “It’s too early to say whether he’s targeting specific people or just random shooting.”
A 13-year-old student told the Reno Gazette-Journal that he saw a student shoot a teacher.
The student said, “We were next to the basketball court, and we heard a cracking sound, like a loud bang, and everyone was screaming, then the teacher came to interrogate.”
At first, it looked as if the fireworks exploded, the student said, but then he realized it was a weapon.
The student said, “The student was pointing his gun at the teacher after the teacher told him to put it on the ground. The student fired a bullet at the teacher, and the teacher fell and everyone fled.”
Meraas said that one of the wounded students was shot in the abdomen, and the other student was wounded in the shoulder.
The hospital said that one of them was in serious condition and the other in good condition Monday afternoon at Rennon Medical Center.
Authorities have released few details about the incident, but city officials said in a statement that the suspect had been “neutralized”.
The statement said: “The application of the law confirms that the school and the community are secure at this time.”
City officials said authorities received emergency calls from students and staff at the school around 7:15 a.m. about the active shooter on campus.
Authorities said the students had been taken to a nearby high school to meet their parents. Officials said the school was canceled for the week at Sparks Middle School and for the day at nearby Agnes Risley Elementary School.
“I was deeply saddened to learn of the horrific shooting at Sparks Middle School this morning,” Nevada Governor Brian Sandoval said in a statement. My department receives regular updates and the Nevada Highway Patrol is assisting at the scene. Kathleen and I offer our thoughts and prayers to the victims and those affected by these tragic events. “
The shooting comes months after a gunman killed 26 people at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, sparking a nationwide debate about gun violence and school safety.
The mother of a student killed in the December shooting in Newtown said the shooting was a reminder of the need to find solutions to keep the students safe.
“The unimaginable happened again, this time in Sparks, Nevada,” Nicole Hockley said in a statement. “Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims, their families, and the children of Sparks Middle School, who today faced violence that no child should ever experience. It is moments like these that require that we unite as parents to find logical solutions that keep our children – all children – safe, and prevent these tragedies from happening again and again.