Authorities said a major fire is believed to have been caused by a downed power line that burned down at a Dallas-area factory that makes garbage bags and other plastic materials.
Authorities said there were no reports of injuries from the massive fire at the Bulli America complex in the Grand Prix. No evacuation orders have been issued, but people with underlying health conditions have been asked to avoid the area.
“This will be on fire until late tomorrow,” said Bill Murphy, assistant fire chief at Grand Prairie, during a Wednesday morning press conference. “These are rolls of plastic wrap, huge rolls, and they’re sometimes stacked up to eight feet. The plastic is hard to get out and it’ll burn.”
Dallas-based KTVT TV reported that firefighters believed the fire began when a power line fell near an area where plastic coils are stored, causing a fire to break out.
Poly-America is headquartered in Grand Prairie and specializes in products made from polyethylene, such as trash bags, cotton fabrics and plastic sheeting, according to the company’s website.
This story has been updated to correct the assistant fire chief’s last name. His name is Bill Murphy, not Bill Murray.