Authorities said that a one-year-old child was killed and three others were shot late in the evening in a family restaurant in New York City.
The child was shot in the stomach and later died in hospital, according to the police. The police said the rest were expected to survive. A 27-year-old man was injured in the ankle, a 35-year-old man was injured in the thigh and a 36-year-old man was shot in the leg.
Police said the four victims had been shot after two men marched to the pavement rally in Brooklyn shortly before midnight, and began shooting from all over Raymond Bush Park in Bid Stowe. Their motive is unclear at this time.
Police said no one had been arrested and an investigation was still underway. It is believed that the child’s injuries are not life-threatening after he was transferred to Musa Bin Maimon Medical Center, according to reports.
After the shooting, a stroller and several chairs were left behind the platform, according to the New York Post.
The fatal shooting came amid another violent weekend in New York City. The newspaper reported that at least 23 people had been shot since midday, including two boys – 12 and 15 years old – who were shot just hours before Sunday night in Brooklyn and Harlem. The police said the two were expected to live.
New York City has seen a surge in violence in recent weeks, after a City Council vote that included $ 837 million in budget cuts and funding for reallocation involving the New York Police Department.
New York police have argued that the increase in violence is due to the early release of COVID-19 from the city’s prisons and the recent police reform., Mayor Bill de Palacio noted blame for the court system and economy amid the Corona virus pandemic.
Since the beginning of the year, there have been 530 shooting incidents in New York City. The police said that there were 350 shooting incidents during the same period last year.